Gary Hill BSc (Hons) MSc, MPhil, PGCE,
SFHEA, FBCS, CITP
Head of Department
Computing & Immersive Technologies
- M.Phil., Computer Assisted Learning - Structural
Analysis & Design, Loughborough University, 1998.
- M.Sc., Computer Science, Anglia Ruskin University,
- P.G.C.E., University of Greenwich (Garnett College)
- B.Sc. (Hons) Civil Engineering (Numerical Analysis)
Swansea University, 1985.
- Head of Department: Computing & Immersive
of Northampton, 2011-present.
- Head of Computing & Immersive Technologies, University of
Northampton, 2002- 2011.
- Acting Associate Dean (Operations) University of
- Principal Lecturer, University of
- Senior Lecturer, University of
- Lecturer II, University
of Northampton, 1987-1989.
- Lecturer II, Computing & Civil Engineering,
University of West London, 1986-1987.
- MSc Enterprise Application Development, BSc/BEng Software Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University at SLIIT, Sri Lanka (2014-2018)
- BSc Computer Science, University of Derby including: Mediterranean College (Athens & Thessaloniki, Greece) (2014-2018)
- MSc Computer Science at University of Hertfordshire IST Athens (2011-2015)
- BSc Multimedia Technologies, Islington College,
Kathmandu, Nepal (2011-2012)
- BSc, FDSc Digital Solutions, Interactive Multimedia,
Multimedia, Multimedia Technology & Applications at
London Metropolitan University (2008-2012)
- MSc Computing, Internet Technology and e-Commerce,
Internet Technology, Distributed Computing Systems,
Computer Systems and Networking, Data Warehousing and
Data Mining, Enterprise Software Engineering, Mobile
Computing and Communications courses at University of
- BSc Computing, Software Engineering, Computer Games
Development, Multimedia Games Development at University
of Central Lancashire (2004-2009)
- BSc Computing courses at Shenzhen University,
Guangdong, China (2005-2009)
- BSc Computing courses at UDA (Spengergasse, Vienna
& Leonding, Linz) Austria (2005-2009)
- BSc Computing, Computer Network Technology, Systems
Management, Information Systems Design at DEI
(Thessaloniki) Greece (2007-2009)
- Foundation Year at London South Bank University (1998-2002)
- HND/C at Buckinghamshire New University (1998-2002)
- HNC at East Berkshire College (2001-2002)
- External Review Panel Member for
Undergraduate/Postgraduate Computing, Faculty of
Computing, Engineering & Sciences, University of
- External Review Panel Member for the Field of UG
Computing, School of Computer Science & Technology,
University of Bedfordshire (09/2012)
- Department for Education, Level 3 (A Level/Vocational)
Qualification Reform - Roundtable Discussion -
Specialist Vocational Focus Group, Sanctuary Buildings,
- External Review Panel Member for the Field of
Undergraduate (UG) Computing, School of Computer Science
& Technology, University of Bedfordshire (09/2009)
- External Validation Advisor for Franchise of BSc
(Hons) Computing, BSc (Hons) Computing (Multimedia), BSc
(Hons) Computing Network Technology to DEI Bachelor and
Masters Degrees, Thessaloniki, Greece (05/2007)
- External Validation Advisor for the BSc Computing by
Distance Learning at the University of East London
- External Validation Advisor for Franchise of BSc
Computing courses at UDA (Spengergasse, Vienna &
Leonding, Linz) Austria (06/2005)
Professional Membership and Advisory Bodies
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS)
- Chartered IT Professional (CITP)
- Northampton Branch Committee Member of the British
Computer Society (BCS) - Education Liaison Officer
- Council of Professors and Heads of Computing (CPHC)
How to contact me
Hill G, Svennevik E, Turner S (2014) "Computer Science Courses Using Laptops”, Innovation in Teaching and Learning in Information and Computer Science, ITALICS, HEA-ICS, Volume 13 Issue 1, June 2014, pp, DOI: 10.11120/ital.2014.00011.
Hill G, Turner S (2014) "Chapter 5: Electronic Online Marking of
Software Assignments", Progress in IS: Software
Engineering Education for a Global E-service Economy,
Motta, Gianmario; Bing, Wu (Eds.), Springer, ISBN
978-3-319-04216-9, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-04217-6_5, pp 41-48.
Hill G. J., Turner S. (2014) "Problems
First, Second & Third", International Journal of
Quality Assurance in Engineering and Technology Education
(IJQAETE), IGI Global, USA, Volume 3 Issue 3, pp. 88-109, DOI: 10.4018/ijqaete.2014070104, ISSN: 2155-496X, EISSN: 2155-4978.
Hill G., Turner S. (2012) "Referencing
within Code in Software Engineering Education!", Computer
Education, Volume 10, Issue 166, May 2012, pp. 1-4, ISSN:
Kariyawasam K., A., Turner S., Hill G.
(2012) "Is it Visual? The importance of a Problem
Solving Module within a Computing course", Computer
Education, Volume 10, Issue 166, May 2012, pp. 5-7, ISSN:
Turner S., Hill G. J., (2010) Innovative
Use of Robots and Graphical Programming in Software
Education, Computer Education, Volume 9, May 2010,
pp. 54-6, ISSN: 1672-5913.
Turner S., Hill G. J., (2008) Robots
within the teaching of Problem-Solving, ITALICS,
HEA-ICS, Volume 7 Issue 1, June 2008, pp. 108-119, ISSN:
Sealey B. J, Phillips P. S., Hill G. J.,
management issues for the UK ready-mixed concrete
industry, Resources Conservation and
Recycling, International Journal of Sustainable Resource
Management and Environmental Efficiency, Elsevier Volume
32 Issue 3-4, July, pp. 321 - 331 (Ed. Adam D. Read).
Bedford C., Buckle D., Hill G. J.,
(1999) Climbing and
Kalashnikovs in the Southern Caucasus, Alpine
Journal 1999 Volume 104 No 348, pp 136-146 ISBN
Hill G, Turner S (2014) "Chapter 5:
Electronic Online Marking of Software Assignments",
Progress in IS: Software Engineering Education for a
Global E-service Economy, Springer, pp. 41-48, ISBN
978-3-319-04216-9, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-04217-6_5.
Hill G. J., Turner S. (2011) "Chapter 7:
Problems First", Software Industry-Oriented
Education Practices and Curriculum Development:
Experiences and Lessons, M Hussey, X Xu & B Wu (Eds.),
IGI Global, USA, pp 110-126, ISBN: 978-1-60960-797-5.
Research Papers and Presentations
Hill G. J., (2015) Review of a problems-first approach to first year undergraduate programming, 11th China – Europe International Symposium on Software Industry Orientated Education: 29-30th April 2015 (Awaiting presentation and publication).
Hill G, Turner S (2013)
"Electronic Online Marking of Software Assignments
(EOMOSA)", 9th China - Europe International
Symposium on Software Industry Engineering Education,
13-14 May 2013, AICA, Milan, Italy.
Hill G, Svennevik E, Turner S (2011) "Green
Computer Science Courses! We're going mobile!", 7th
China - Europe International Symposium on Software
Industry Oriented Education, 23-24 May 2011, University of
Northampton, Northampton, UK.
Zhao F, Turner S, Hill G, Dravid R,
Zhang Y (2010) "A Virtual Environment Training System for
Haptic Laparoscopic Surgery", 16th International
Conference on Automation and Computing, University of
Birmingham, Birmingham, UK, 11 September 2010.
Turner S, Hill G, Adams (2009) "Robots
in problem solving in programming" 9th 1-day Teaching of
Programming Workshop, University of Bath, 6th April 2009.
Minai A., Turner S., Hill G. J., (2008)
Motivational Differences In Learning Internet Programming
Between The Arts And Computing Students, 9th Annual
Conference of the Subject Centre for Information and
Computer Sciences, Liverpool Hope University, 26th - 28th
August 2008, p197, ISBN 978-0-9559676-0-3
Turner S., Hill G. J., (2007) Robots
in Problem-Solving and Programming 8th Annual
Conference of the Subject Centre for Information and
Computer Sciences, University of Southampton, 28th - 30th
August 2007, pp 82-85 ISBN 0-978-0-9552005-7-1
Turner S., Hill G. J., (2006) The Inclusion of
Robots Within The Teaching OF Problem Solving:
Preliminary Results, 7th Annual Conference of
the ICS HE Academy, Trinity College, Dublin, 29th - 31st
August 2006, Proceedings pg 241-242 ISBN 0-9552005-3-9
Sealey B. J., Hill G. J., Phillips P.
S., (2001) Review
of Strategy for Recycling and Reuse of Waste
Materials, Recycling and Reuse of Waste Materials
, International Symposium, Dundee University, Thomas
Telford, 19-20 March, pp 325-335, ISBN 0 7277 2992 6 (Ed.
R K Dhir, M Limbachiya, M McCarthy).
Sealey B. J., Phillips P. S., Hill G. J.
(2001) Waste Management in the Ready-Mixed Concrete
Industry: key issues for future consideration ,
Concrete Communication Conference - 11th Annual
BCA/Concrete Society Conference, UMIST, 3-4 July,
Published in the proceedings, British Cement Association
Publication 98.004, pp. 307-316, ISBN 0 7210 1581 6
Austin S A, Dickens J G and Hill G,
(1992) Experience of using an authoring language to
produce CAL teaching software for structural analysis,
Proceedings Conference on Education for Structural
Engineering, Nottingham University, Innovative Press,
16-18 September, pp 197-204, ISBN 0 9519802 0 3.
- 2006: MPhil Completion, Minimisation and Re-Use of
Mixed Concrete Waste (2nd Supervisor).
Recent conference attendance:
- 9th China - Europe International Symposium on Software
Engineering Education, 14-15 May 2013, AICA, Milan,
- 8th China - Europe International Symposium on Software
Engineering Education, 28-29 May 2012, Shanghai Jiaotong
University, Shanghai, China.
- 7th China - Europe International Symposium on Software
Industry Oriented Education, 23-24 May 2011, University
of Northampton, Northampton, UK.
- 6th China - Europe International Symposium on Software
Industry Oriented Education, 24-25 May 2010, Xi'an,
- Mobile Device Application Development
- Enterprise Application Development
- 2D/3D Graphics
- Graphics & Visualisation
- 3D Computer Modelling
- Problem Solving & Programming
- Project Based Learning
- Problem Based Learning
- Academic Quality and Standards Committee (AQSC) 2013-present.
- Academic Audit and Review Committee (AARC) 2013-present.
- Senior Admissions Tutor (2008-present)
- Mitigating Circumstances Panel (Chair/Member)
- Examination Boards (Chair/Member)
- E-Strategy Steering Group (2006-2011)
- Course Validation Panels (Chair/Member)
- Lifelong Learning Committee (2006-2008)
- External Examiners' Committee (School Representative
- Committee for Taught Programmes (School Representative
- School Executive Team (SET)
- International School Executive Team
- School Management Group (SMG)
- School Health & Safety
- Quality Standards & Enhancement Committee (QSEC)
- School Student Experience Committee (SSEC)
- Field Chair for Computer Systems (BSc Computing awards
in Computing, Computer Networks Engineering, Computer
Systems Engineering, Graphics & Visualisation,
Internet Technology & Security, Mobile Computing
& Software Engineering) (2003-2011)
- Admissions Tutor for BSc, HND/C Computing
- First Year Leader, BSc Computing (2001-2011)
- Course Leader, HND Computer Systems Engineering
- Course Leader, HNC Computer Systems Engineering
- Budget Holder, Computing Department (2001-present)
Other Interests and Links